The history of the Oktoberfest began with the wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria and Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen on October 17, 1810. A horse race was held in honor of the bride and groom. The bride gave the festival meadow - at that time still outside the city gates - its name: Theresienwiese. The Oktoberfest has been held on it ever since. The city grew - today the "Wiesn" is located in the middle of the city between Bavariaring and Theresienhöhe. The earliest pictorial evidence that our Augustiner beer was served at the Oktoberfest dates back to 1867. In 1903, the Augustiner Brewery built a festival hall in the style of a castle. In 1926, a new tent building followed: 80 meters long and 40 meters wide with space for 3,000 guests and a tower as a distinctive landmark visible from afar.
Today's Augustiner Festhalle was built according to this model. On the occasion of the 200th Wiesn anniversary in 2010, we also had the tower rebuilt. It houses our wooden barrel warehouse as well as an elevator that transports the 200-liter barrels, our "Hirschen," directly to the pub.
Today, as in the past, our Augustiner Oktoberfest beer is served exclusively from the wooden barrel. At the world's largest folk festival, the Augustiner brewery is thus the only one where wooden barrels are still freshly tapped without exception.