After the Augustinian Hermits founded a monastery on the Haberfeld just outside Munich in 1294, a brewery was also built at the beginning of the 14th century, which was essential for the monks' economy.In 1328, the brewery was mentioned by name for the first time.
Until the completion of Munich Cathedral in 1494, the hall church of the Augustinian monastery was the largest sacred building in Munich.
The Augustinian monks supplied the Wittelsbach dukes with their highly esteemed, strong beer until the dukes had their own brewery - the newly founded Hofbräuhaus - supply them from 1589.
The Augustinian monks gained particular popularity in Munich when a life-size wax figure of Christ, which was venerated by the faithful, reappeared intact a year after its tragic breakage. Since then, the figure has been particularly popular because it was considered miraculous. It is still on display in the Bürgersaal church during Advent.
The Augustinian monks of Munich were among the first members of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences.
During secularisation, the monks had to leave the monastery and it was dissolved. Only the monastery brewery continued initially under state management and later under private management. The monastery church was used as a toll hall, the convent building by the Ministry of Justice.
Due to the dilapidation of the premises, the brewery was moved from the monastery grounds to Neuhauser Straße.
Anton and Therese Wagner, a brewing family from Attaching near Freising, acquired the brewery. Since then, the brewery has been a middle-class, family-owned private brewery.
To expand the brewery on Neuhauser Straße, Anton Wagner acquired a storage cellar on Rosenheimer Straße around 1840.
Therese Wagner acquired a storage cellar on Landsberger Straße. The entire production facilities were later moved to this site.
To expand the production facilities, the Augustinerkeller on Arnulfstraße was acquired as a storage cellar. In the hall and in the garden there was a beer bar where the people of Munich celebrated lavish parties.
It is not known since when and in how many beer stalls Augustiner beer was served at the Oktoberfest. This illustration of an Augustiner beer stand proves the year 1867.
Joseph Wagner was a founding member of the Bavarian Brewers' Association with his Augustiner Brewery.
After the completion of the new building on Landsberger Straße, the brewery operations were able to move.
The trademark for the brewery was registered for the first time: "JW", the initials of Josef Wagner, with the abbot's staff (bishop's crook). From now on, this was used to mark the barrels, jugs and vehicles.
The famous Munich architect Emanuel von Seidl converted the pub on Neuhauser Straße into a Munich beer palace.
For the first time, the Augustiner Brewery was represented at the Oktoberfest with a large beer castle.
The beer castle was replaced by a new festival hall with a tower. The Augustiner Brewery is still represented at the Oktoberfest with this architecture, but without a tower from 1949-2010.
Since 1987, the Augustiner Brewery has been the only one of the six Munich breweries at the Oktoberfest that only taps its beer from wooden barrels
Edith Haberland-Wagner, the last relative with the surname Wagner and main owner of the brewery, bequeathed her shares to the Edith Haberland-Wagner Foundation, which she established. Now the foundation holds just over 50 percent of the Augustiner Brauerei. The foundation is particularly involved in the areas of youth and monument protection as well as in the promotion of culture.
For the 200th anniversary of the Oktoberfest, the tower was rebuilt according to historical models.
With the opening of the Augustiner Klosterwirt, Augustiner beer is once again served at the place of its origin: Munich's Augustinian monastery.
For the first time since 1947, the former living quarters of the Wagner brewing family in the Augustiner Stammhaus on Neuhauser Straße are once again open to the public.In the six adjoining salons, which are now available for events, you can clearly recognize the signature of the villa architect Emanuel von Seidl.